Some of my highlights
- Founder and senior engineer of Bourgest Automotive Engineering BV. (BAE). BAE is aiming to support the automotive industry in all areas of vehicle suspension development from target setting and benchmarking until start of production. BAE successfully started on Nov. 12, 2007 supporting a major European OEM.
- Owner and CEO of Professional Scale Models BV (AllOnScale). Since 2003 AllOnScale is the partner for technical scale models. We supply and repair individually made, high-end and professional scale models in a wide range of our customers products.
- Founder of Bourgest 3D printing (Bourgest3DP). Since 2016 Bourgest HD 3D Printing service aims at providing a wide variety of industries with small or large precision hard plastic parts.
- 2013 – Current: Successful purchase and reorganisation of AllOnScale. Now a main player in the niche market of technical scale models.
- 2011-2016 René managed 8-15 local engineers in Beijing, China and has helped the new and previously unknown Cotech Engineering Ltd. become one of the major chassis development players on the Chinese market rivalling all big names in the industry.
- In 2006 René was responsible for the ride and handling development of the new Hyundai i30. In 2007 renowned magazine AUTOCAR wrote:
AUTOCAR car magazine 2007 first road test of Hyundai i30
“The i30‘s steering is quick and precise. And if the i30’s handling is good, the ride is little short of exceptional. The car offers a supple, fluid yet always controlled ride that many rivals with much more vaunted reputations in this area would do well to emulate. It’s a substantial achievement.”
- April 2011 – October 2016: Executive / Team leader / Senior engineer chassis at Shanghai Cotech Automotive Engineering Ltd. Managing the chassis department of 10 local engineers. Support training and guidance of local engineers and development of business opportunities. Support of subjective and objective chassis evaluation and development for all major Chinese OEM’s and Western Tier1 suppliers. Supported companies and complete vehicle tuning: FAW, BAIC, SAIC, Geely, JMC, GAC, ChangAn, Chery, BYD, Foday, Foton, Qoros, Jiao, Benteler, Lotus engineering.
- Dec. 2008 – April 2011 : Senior chassis engineer at a major European OEM Shanghai technical center. Support in subjective and objective chassis evaluation and development. Supported projects: VW: Tiguan, Lavida sportline, Passat LingYu, new Passat, New Polo, New Polo GTI. Skoda: Superb, New Fabia, Fabia RS
- July 2008 – Dec. 2008 : Supporting a major tire manufacturer in tire evaluation. Passenger car, SUV and light truck tire benchmark and project work.
- Nov. 12, 2007 – July 2008 : Chassis engineer at a major European OEM. Development and testing of the hydraulic steering system incl. Delphi Magna steer. Development of dual knuckle front axle design. Saab: new 95, Turbo X, 93 AWD. Opel: Insignia AWD
Bachelor degree in Automotive Engineer at the HAN University of Applied Sciences
- Dutch – Native language
- English – fluent in writing and speaking
- Swedish – fluent in writing and speaking
- German – fluent in writing and speaking
- French – basic knowledge but rarely practiced
- Chinese/Mandarin – Beginner
- Wilhelm Karmann GmbH – Engineer Vehicle Dynamics – Dec. 2006 – Nov. 2007. Coordinate the development process of vehicle dynamic attributes from the first prototypes until serial production. Cooperation with international OEM’s. Planning and performing chassis tuning (Suspension, steering, braking, power train, tire, control systems). Performing objective tests and subjective evaluations on complete vehicle attributes.
- Hyundai Motor Europe – Engineer steering & suspension – Aug. 2005 – Nov. 2006. Subjective evaluation of vehicle steering, handling and ride properties. Planning and performing subjective evaluation rides. Planning and performing steering and suspension tuning (spring, stabilizer bar, shock absorber, tire, steering, etc.) Suggesting suspension design changes based on “proof of concept” prototypes and/or simulations using Carsim. Planning and performing objective measurements. Hyundai: C’eed. Kia: Rio, i30
- Saab Automobile AB – Control system engineer / Test engineer chassis – Oct. 2002 – Jun. 2005 ‘Proof of concept’ development of control algorithms for active chassis systems, using Matlab/Simulink and CarSim environments in combination with complete vehicle tuning. Responsible test engineer for the power steering system of new vehicle projects. Validation testing of all components in the power steering system and responsible for the steering feel of the complete vehicle. The work was regularly done on test tracks in Spain and in the north of Sweden. Development of vehicle dynamic measuring methods and post processing software, usually done in Matlab. Subjective evaluations of vehicle handling and ride properties of the developed vehicles and competitor vehicles. Saab: 93 sport sedan, 93 sport combi, 95. Opel: Vectra
In the period April 2003 to October 2003, resident engineer at Adam Opel AG in Rüsselsheim, Germany. Full prototype vehicle testing and software development of AFS (Active Front Steer) and ARC (Active Roll Control).
In the period October 2002 to June 2005, a member of the Swedish delegation of ISO TC 22, Road vehicles, Subcommittee SC9, Vehicle dynamics and road-holding ability.
- Caran Automotive AB – Contractor – Oct. 1999 – Oct. 2002 Test engineer at Volvo Car Corporation, department Vehicle Dynamics, Handling & Ride Responsible for the development and execution of vehicle dynamic measuring methods and post processing software. Research was done in objectively quantifying steering-feel and driver perception. Vehicle-trailer stability testing and development. Testing and development of active safety systems like ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), BSD (Blind Spot Detection) and RFD (Road Friction Detection). Two times thesis supervisor for students from my former school. Volvo: S60, C70, V70, XC70, XC90, SCC (Safety Concept Car)